Making Streets for People : Urban Design Issues
Lim, Yookyoung Associate Research Fellow Seong, Eunyoung Associate Research Fellow Lim, Kangryoon Assistant Research Fellow
- Hit 6728
Since the 1960s, the focus has been largely on the movement function of streets in the urban planning of Korea. More than 140 pedestrian overpasses and many highways were constructed in Seoul during the period of 1966~1970, under the mayor Hyeonok Kim. The result has often been places that are dominated by motor vehicles to the extent that they fail to make a positive contribution to the quality of life.
Streets have to fulfil a variety of functions in order to meet people's needs as places for living, working and moving around in. In recent years, there were changes in policy directions; the policy makers started to think that better-designed streets contribute significantly to the quality of the built environment and play a important role in the creation of sustainable, inclusive, mixed communities. Many local authorities strive to improve and enhance the streets, they allocate a lot of budget to street improvement projects. In this circumstance, this study aims at understanding the problems of current urban design of Korea and providing future directions for making 'streets for people'.
APA Lim, Yookyoung, Seong, Eunyoung, Lim, Kangryoon. (2015). Making Streets for People : Urban Design Issues. Architecture & Urban Research Institute. MLA Lim, Yookyoung, Seong, Eunyoung, Lim, Kangryoon. Making Streets for People : Urban Design Issues.Architecture & Urban Research Institute. 2015 Chicago Lim, Yookyoung, Seong, Eunyoung, Lim, Kangryoon. 2015. Making Streets for People : Urban Design Issues. Architecture & Urban Research Institute.
Lim - other reports
- Principles and Operational Direction of the Special Architectural District System auri Research Brief 2022.05.25 Hit 7089
- Establishing Operational Guidelines for Special Architectural District Research Paper 2021.12.31 Hit 956
- Public Sports Facilities from a User’s Perspective Research Paper 2021.12.31 Hit 8787
- Survey and Planning Framework for Sustainable Management of the ‘Modern Historic-Cultural District’ auri Research Brief 2021.08.19 Hit 4119
- Improvement to Lower Floors and Outdoor Spaces of Public Buildings auri Research Brief 2020.11.26 Hit 1581
- Survey and Planning Framework for Sustainable Management of “Modern Historic-Cultural District” Research Paper 2020.10.31 Hit 1532
- Making Better Public Buildings : Ground Floor and Open Space Issues Research Paper 2019.11.30 Hit 9414
- Establishing Public Building Center at Local-level Research Paper 2017.09.29 Hit 1037
- Addressing Abandoned Buildings : Survey Methodology Research Paper 2014.09.30 Hit 702
- Reforming Planning and Building Regulations for Enhancing Neighborhoods Research Paper 2012.12.31 Hit 744